• Senior Trip - Main Event Dec. 22, 9:00 p.m. - midnight

• End of Second Quarter Dec. 21

• Staff/Retiree/Alumni Luncheon Dec. 20

• Semester Exams Dec. 18-21

Filed under News

Boy Scouts attempt to increase participants

SALUTE. The equivalent of the Eagle Scout for girls is to be implemented in approximately 2019. Boy Scouts mainly opened admission to girls for improved numbers and to provide girls with an opportunity at the highest rank of Eagle Scout. Girl Scouts have Ambassadors, which is for those in grades 11 and 12.

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

During the multitude of gender issues and discussion, Boy Scouts of America (BSA) welcomes girls into Cub Scouts. The individual dens (groups) will remain single gender, all boy or all girl.

“This unique approach allows the organization to maintain the integrity of the single gender model while also meeting the needs of today’s families,” BSA told NPR.

In 2018, a plan will be released to have an equivalent rank of Eagle Scout, which will come into effect in 2019. Students will be able to join Cub Scouts in the fall of 2018. Due to the extensive research that shows how both genders learn better in single gender groups, Boy Scouts will keep the dens single gender.

“The historic decision comes after years of receiving requests from families and girls,” BSA told CNN.

BSA has actually had a co-ed program, the Exploring and the Venture program, since 1971. Due to declining numbers, BSA implemented the inclusion of girls into Cub Scouts to increase numbers.

BSA has been inviting other groups including gay and transgender youth, despite banning them previously, to increase numbers.

Girl Scouts of the USA’s numbers have been decreasing as well, so the National Board President Kathy Hopinkah Hannan has been unhappy with the choice to include girls, saying that it is undermining Girl Scouts.

“Girl Scouts offers a one-of-a-kind experience for girls with a program tailored specifically to their unique developmental needs,” Girls Scouts USA told CNN.

Due to Girls Scouts providing opportunities to girls already, there has been confused and mixed reactions.

• Boy Scouts attempt to increase participants

Puerto Rico fights uphill battle

Student Council cancels winter dance

National Diabetes Month raises awareness

Trump Administration decision revokes residency

‘Polling’ our weight

Controversial white nationalist speaker ignites backlash over University of Cincinnati appearance

Students lend hands

‘Food allergies on the rise’

Women demand voices be heard

Your vote counts: Learn who you can elect for your school board