Meditation group keeps students mindful

Emily Chien

LESS STRESS. “I just began trying mediation this year and already really love it. There are plenty of apps and videos online for beginners. Even outside of this group I like to practice during my most stressful days,” said Christina Hanisch, 12.

Throughout stressful school days, it can at times be difficult to find time for relaxation and reflection. Every Tuesday during Aviator bell, the meditation group aims to help students avoid this problem.

“It is the perfect idea for not just some people but many. You would be surprised how amazing it can feel to incorporate a routine meditation practice into your everyday life,” said Allison Fredette, 12.

According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, meditation is a mind and body practice for increasing calmness and physical relaxation, improving psychological balance, coping with illness, and enhancing overall health and well-being.

“It is especially good for us as students, whom I personally believe experience the most taxing types of stress issues out there. We can help heal together through this practice,” Ferdinand said.

Through meditation, students become less anxious and nervous for tests, feel more self-confident, and sleep better overall, according to the Project Meditation.

“I now look forward to having quiet time for meditation every Wednesday, and I definitely am seeing the benefits of it. Being mindful and calm gets me through a stressful and chaotic day,” said Christina Hanisch, 12.

To join, simply ask either Mr. Mark Millett in the counseling office for a sign-up form and begin practicing with other mindful SHS students.