• Band Concert Jan. 10

• Winter break Dec. 21- Jan 6

• End of second quarter Dec. 20

SHS swims against state

Varsity boys race for last time in school season

SHS swims against state

STATE CELEBRATION. Spirits soar when in the company of your teammates. At the 2018 OHSAA swim meet, the SHS boys team swam spectacular races. They placed third in the entire state of Ohio, a new high since 1992.

Stephen Fang

Stephen Fang

Stephen Fang

The boys’ swim team placed the highest it has ever placed since 1992 with strong swims on Sat., Feb, 24. Even with only seven boys swimming, SHS managed to finish third in the state of Ohio for Division I.

At C.T. Branin Natatorium in Canton swam junior Sammy Risma, junior Elliot Carl, junior Noah Patterson, sophomore Carson Foster, senior Alex Newberg, freshman Erik Menchhofer, and senior Luke Tenbarge on the relays. Senior Stephen Fang also went as a backup in case any of the relay members suddenly got sick.

The 200 medley relay and 200 freestyle relay placed third and ninth while the 400 freestyle relay snatched fourth place.

Risma and Foster, on the other hand, also swam as individuals. Risma placed 13th in the 100 freestyle.

“I was very happy with how I swam in the 100 freestyle. I’ve never gone that fast before, and it’s a relief that all my hard work paid off,” Risma said.

Foster not only won the state championship for two events, the 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle, but he also set a new record in his 200 freestyle with a time of 1:34.19. The previous record holder was Dan Ketchum, an Olympic gold medalist and SHS alum.

“Swimming at state was a new experience for me, but this was the most fun swim trip I’ve had in a long time. I couldn’t be happier with how the team and I did. We’re all really proud to represent Sycamore,” Foster said.

Now that states are over, the swim season still continue, for clubs at least. All of the state swimmers will return to their own club teams, Cincinnati Marlins, Blue Ash YMCA, or Mason Manta Rays.

“Now it’s time for me to focus in on club swimming and the different events that go into that. I’m super excited for that, but I’m definitely going to miss swimming for our school,” Foster said.

• SHS swims against state

Opinion

Review: Netflix’s ‘Dumplin’”

• SHS swims against state

Opinion

Sugar n’ Spice and everything nice

• SHS swims against state

Infographics

Clubs fundraise ahead of holidays

• SHS swims against state

Opinion

How to ace midterms

• SHS swims against state

Controversial ‘stand your ground’ bill sparks controversy in Ohio

• SHS swims against state

Student council raises support

• SHS swims against state

Arts & Entertainment

Orchestras shine at winter concert

• SHS swims against state

Activists stand up to hate

• SHS swims against state

Synnovation Lab students bake for a cause

• SHS swims against state

SHS students swap gifts

SHS swims against state