• Band Concert Jan. 10

• Winter break Dec. 21- Jan 6

• End of second quarter Dec. 20

Choral program sings way to state

SELECT.+After+singing+at+Taylor+High+School%2C+participants+of+Select+Ensemble+look+for+ways+they+can+improve+their+performance+in+the+future.+Ranked+in+Class+A%2C+they+are+critiqued+by+a+panel+of+three+judges+very+strictly.+This+week%2C+students+are+using+the+adjudicators%27+comments+to+analyze+how+they+can+adjust+their+dynamics%2C+rhythms%2C+and+pitches.+

Choral program sings way to state

SELECT. After singing at Taylor High School, participants of Select Ensemble look for ways they can improve their performance in the future. Ranked in Class A, they are critiqued by a panel of three judges very strictly. This week, students are using the adjudicators' comments to analyze how they can adjust their dynamics, rhythms, and pitches.

McDaniel's Photography

McDaniel's Photography

McDaniel's Photography

At the recent Ohio Music Education Association (OMEA) competition, Aviator Chorale, Select Ensemble, and Bella Voce traveled to Taylor High School to perform several pieces for the judges. In addition, all performing groups were tested on their sight-singing skills for a portion of their overall rating.

Select Ensemble, singing mostly classical songs, wowed the adjudicators with their contrasting dynamics and beautiful tone. They competed in Class A, receiving a rating of two.

All choirs are given a rating one through five: one is classified as superior, two is considered excellent, etc. Bella Voce and Aviator Chorale both received an accumulative superior rating, moving them on to compete at the state level.

“When I found out we got a superior rating I was in shock. We worked so hard, and I was extremely proud of all our efforts,” said Amanda Geraci, 10.

The choral program director, Ken Holdt, is extremely proud of all his ensembles and their performances in the first round of competition. He looks forward to leading Aviator Chorale and Bella Voce in their upcoming state competition and says he is working hard to prepare the choirs for this new challenge.

“We practiced every day on our sight reading and our songs. We even took time out of our ACE bell to practice as a whole with the guys.

“I’m feeling amazing going into state. I’m super excited to have this opportunity this year. I have improved from last year [by] becoming more confident. If I mess up, I keep going. I’m not afraid of asking questions about a certain piece of music or help with the sight reading,” Geraci said.

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

Orchestras shine at winter concert

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

Trend watching: earring edition

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

Fun & Games Answers

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

‘Right this Way’ Bandstand returns to theaters

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

SHS sings with ‘Glee’

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

Band, orchestra play music with magic

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

TV shows from past come back

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

‘Chocolate: the exhibition’ entices visitors

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

Marching Band pushes through windy weather

• Choral program sings way to state

Arts & Entertainment

SHS Aves Theatre takes up ‘Grease’

Choral program sings way to state