• Fashion for the Cure Feb. 15 6:30 p.m.

• Blood Drive Feb 15 6:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in the Gregory Center

• Cabaret Feb. 9 7:00-9:00 p.m.

Filed under News

U.S debates voting age

U.S debates voting age

VOTING AGE UP FOR DEBATE. Some SHS students are able to vote their senior year. These students are able to register to vote. Registration is taking place during lunch on May 7 and 8.

Allyson Bonhaus

Allyson Bonhaus

Allyson Bonhaus

Voting has been a contentious topic and has raised a number of questions throughout American history: who gets to vote, how are votes counted, and are all votes equal?

As a result of the youth activism sparked by the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, there has been a push to lower the voting age.

Student activists have been pushing to encourage adults to vote for gun control legislation. While this tactic may see results, some students feel that becoming voters themselves is a more direct strategy.

The voting age has been debated many times, but the discussion resurfaced as a result of the recent events. Legislation to lower the age has been proposed, most recently in Washington D.C.

The current voting age is 18, so few SHS students vote while in high school. Seniors with early birthdays may vote during their senior year.

Those advocating for this cause have decided that 16 is a better voting age. Opposers have argued that 16-year-olds are inadequately informed to vote on serious issues.

Most psychological studies of teenagers group 16 and 18-year-olds in the same category, symbolizing similar maturity and the same stage of development.

Some argue that lowering the voting age is a strategy to gain more democratic voters, but an article from NPR stated that, “a 2014 Pew survey showed that 50 percent of millennials self-identify as political independents.”

Of course, 16-year-olds lack two years of experience that 18-year-olds have acquired. In fact, some argue that even 18 is too young to understand the importance and repercussions of voting.

“I think 18 is ideal because if you’re old enough to die for this country you should be old enough to participate in government,” said Sarah Guedira, 11.
However, arguments about the maturity and immaturity of teens alike can be refuted with the idea that everyone is different.

An absolute rule can not be made to determine how mature people are in their teen years. Regardless of one’s personal views on the topic of the voting age, it is important to remember to neither dismiss nor accept another’s views strictly because of their age.

Sources:

• U.S debates voting age

Fashion for the Cure live stream

• U.S debates voting age

Students shave heads for awareness, hair donation

• U.S debates voting age

Welcome to the future

• U.S debates voting age

Relationship between news and Black History Month: the good, the bad, the ugly

• U.S debates voting age

Teen-friendly recap of the State of the Union Address

• U.S debates voting age

SHS Robotics Team advances to State

• U.S debates voting age

No school Feb. 1

• U.S debates voting age

No school Jan. 31

• U.S debates voting age

No school Jan. 30

• U.S debates voting age

Covington Catholic incident creates uncertainty

U.S debates voting age