• Senior Halloween Oct. 26

• Picture re-take day Oct. 17

• Grease Oct. 26-27 and Nov. 2-3 tickets $10 online $12 at the door

Filed under Sports

Tennis individuals head into state

LET'S GO. Junior Alex Karev will advance to state alongside junior Jacob Wittenbaum.  Last year, Varsity Gold won the Coaches' Classic Tournament. The team is hoping for another big win as the individuals advance on to state.

LET'S GO. Junior Alex Karev will advance to state alongside junior Jacob Wittenbaum. Last year, Varsity Gold won the Coaches' Classic Tournament. The team is hoping for another big win as the individuals advance on to state.

McDaniel's Photography

McDaniel's Photography

While students work to overcome their exams during the last week of school, the Varsity Gold Boys Tennis team continues their season.

Last week the boys played Mason in the team state tournament and fell 1 to 3 in a tough match. However, the individual state tournament remains, and the Aves are sending four players there this coming weekend.

“Our state team run this year was an emotional one for me, it being my last season as an Aviator. Losing is always disappointing, especially when it’s against Mason, but I’m extremely proud of the effort my teammates put in.

“We showed Mason, the first team in the state, that we would not go down without a fight,” said Nathan Zhang, 12.  

The four boys comprise two doubles teams. Zhang and Samuel Marcus are partners while juniors Alex Karev and Jacob Wittenbaum form the remaining team.

Their appearance at state was earned last week at the District Tournament, where Zhang and Marcus beat Centerville, and Karev and Wittenbaum beat St. X to advance to state, respectively.

“I am really excited and humbled Coach gave me the opportunity to play with such a great partner. I’m looking forward to gaining experience and hopefully competing for a state title,” Marcus said.

In the semifinals of Districts, the two teams played each other. The final results were a second place finish from Zhang and Marcus, and a third place finish from Karev and Wittenbaum.

“Making it to individual state is always a good feeling, but the larger goal is to win matches at state. The competition is fierce this year, but [Marcus] and I can make it far as long as we take it one match, one game, one point at a time,” Zhang said.

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports

Seniors reflect on senior nights

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports

Player Profile: Sophie Campbell

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports

Boys JV Water Polo swims past competition

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports Galleries

Girls volleyball bonds on court

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports Galleries

Girls Varsity Soccer plays, bonds

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports

Runners sprint into new season

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports

Girls Varsity Gold Tennis Team aces competition

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports

Girls lacrosse faces old rival

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports

Track relays continue to compete

• Tennis individuals head into state

Sports Galleries

Track season wraps up

Tennis individuals head into state