• No school April 19

• No school April 22

• Prom April 27, 8:00 p.m.

Aves Theatre announces season

Aves Theatre announces season

SIGN HERE. Last year, the spring show was “Into the Woods.” During one of the performances, the musical was shortened and ridded of any subject matter that is not kid friendly. It was deemed a “kids night” and after the show, the children could take pictures and get autographs from the characters.

Sydney Weiss

Sydney Weiss

Sydney Weiss

With each new school year comes a new selection of shows produced by Aves Theatre. This year, there are three mainstage shows and the “Improv Show.”

The first mainstage show is “Grease” which will be performed Oct. 26 and 27 and Nov. 2 and 3. “Grease” will be performed by one of the two acting ensemble classes. This means that sophomores, juniors, and seniors who auditioned to be in a full-year acting class last year have a spot in this show.

Since it is a select class, there are just over twenty students involved. Like “Grease,” “Radium Girls” has a small cast of actors who were selected last Spring. “Radium Girls,” is a play based on the true story of female factory workers in the early twentieth century who inadvertently got radium poisoning while painting watch dials.  

“Radium Girls” will be performed Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 and 2.

“I’m in ‘Radium Girls.’ Acting ensemble shows create a really cool community because you’re with this group of people in class through the whole year. When the show goes up, everyone is super close and it just makes the experience and usually the show a lot better,” said Sarah Guedira, 12.

The big spring musical is “Fiddler on the Roof,” and it will be performed April 11, 12, and 13. Unlike the two previous shows, “Fiddler on the Roof” auditions are open to all SHS students and the cast will likely be double or triple the size of the aforementioned shows.

All three of these shows will be cast throughout the week of Aug. 20.

“Auditions week can definitely be stressful, but it’s so much better to get it all over within the first few weeks of school than to worry about it before each and every show. This way everybody kind of comes to peace with their role so there’s little hostility about parts when the show does actually roll around,” said Shayna Kling, 12.

The annual “Improv Show” is Dec. 7 and 8 and has no cuts, meaning any SHS student can join and have a guaranteed performance opportunity (so long as they comply with the rules.)

“Improv is fun and a really great opportunity, especially for underclassmen or people who are new to theatre. You’ll definitely be in a show and you’ll get to meet a lot of people in the program,” said Andrew Lawrence, 12.

As this year’s shows grow nearer, tickets will be available on avestheatre.org/tickets.

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

Kathie Lee Gifford says goodbye to “Today”

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

The book one shouldn’t read at night

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

Netflix originals aim to please

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

‘Five Feet Apart’ hits theaters

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

Why I wash my face with oil

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

‘Who’s She?’

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

NBC series ‘The Night Shift’ canceled

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

Rebanded brothers release top-streaming single

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Upside’

• Aves Theatre announces season

Arts & Entertainment

K-pop goes to Grammys

Aves Theatre announces season