• Orchestra Concert Dec. 5

• HS Choir Concert Nov. 29

• Band and Orchestra Boosters Craft Show Nov. 17

Filed under Feature

Businesses and consumers rethink plastic straws

UNDER+THE+SEA.+By+the+year+2050%2C+there+will+be+more+plastic+in+the+sea+than+fish.+In+order+to+keep+plastic+out+of+our+ocean%2C+some+businesses+such+as+Starbucks+are+focused+on+phasing+out+the+use+of+straws.+%E2%80%9CStarbucks+Coffee+Company+announced+it+will+eliminate+single-use+plastic+straws+from+its+more+than+28%2C000+company+operated+and+licensed+stores+by+making+a+strawless+lid+or+alternative-material+straw+options+available%2C+around+the+world%2C%E2%80%9D+Starbucks+stated+on+their+website.+
UNDER THE SEA. By the year 2050, there will be more plastic in the sea than fish. In order to keep plastic out of our ocean, some businesses such as Starbucks are focused on phasing out the use of straws. “Starbucks Coffee Company announced it will eliminate single-use plastic straws from its more than 28,000 company operated and licensed stores by making a strawless lid or alternative-material straw options available, around the world,” Starbucks stated on their website.

Kirsten Thomas

Kirsten Thomas

Next time you stop at your favorite coffee shop or restaurant, will you skip or sip from the plastic straw offered?

All over the country, plastic straws have been the center of attention. Social media has been filled with photos of animals, such as sea turtles, affected by plastic straws in our oceans.

The state of California has a limit on straw use in effect, prohibiting, “full-service, dine-in restaurants from offering plastic straws to customers unless they are requested.”

Companies such as Starbucks are working to eliminate the use of plastic straws by the year 2020.

“Starbucks Coffee Company announced it will eliminate single-use plastic straws from its more than 28,000 company-operated and licensed stores by making a strawless lid or alternative-material straw options available, around the world,” according to Starbucks’ website.

Although straws are not environmentally friendly, some individuals require plastic straws due to medical and health reasons. A ban on plastic straws could limit the ability to drink while those affected are out in public.

If you are one who would prefer skipping the use of plastic straws, stainless steel straws can be easily purchased on Amazon at an affordable price.

Stainless steel straws are reusable, easy to wash, and can fit in a purse or bag for easy transport when going out.

Next time you are given a plastic straw, consider all factors before you begin to sip.

Sources:

• Businesses and consumers rethink plastic straws

Festival of lights is here

Jewish Community holds vigil

Where and why SHS travels

Service dog goes to school

Meghan Markle becomes expectant mother

Climate change, natural disasters possibly related

Are the Reds losing fans?

Teaching of speech-ing

Astronomy Club parties under stars

Do you know what is on Oct. 2?