• No school April 19

• No school April 22

• Prom April 27, 8:00 p.m.

Filed under News, Showcase

Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

ROYGBIV. The seven vibrant colors of a crosswalk stand out in cities all over the nation. The first one to appear came from West Hollywood, and the idea was pitched from LA artist Martin Duvander.  Since then, nearly 100 cities have followed suit. “It’s wonderful that Cincinnati has joined the list,” said Adam Kossen, 12.

ROYGBIV. The seven vibrant colors of a crosswalk stand out in cities all over the nation. The first one to appear came from West Hollywood, and the idea was pitched from LA artist Martin Duvander. Since then, nearly 100 cities have followed suit. “It’s wonderful that Cincinnati has joined the list,” said Adam Kossen, 12.

Junichi Ishito

Junichi Ishito

Junichi Ishito

Rainbows are appearing across the nation, and not because of sunlight after a storm.

Atlanta, Georgia; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; San Francisco, California; and Maplewood, New Jersey are just a few of around 100 other cities that have painted a crosswalk rainbow to honor their LGBT communities.

And Over-the-Rhine just made the latest addition.

“It’s great how Cincinnati is giving back to the LGBTQ community,” said Madeline Shewbridge, 11.

Funded by an $8000 anonymous donation and designed by Cincinnati’s Department of Transportation, the rainbow crosswalk was unveiled to the public on Aug. 30.

The crosswalk is near Mercer Street, also known as John Arthur and Jim Obergefell Way. The honorary name is to commemorate John Arthur and Jim Obergefell’s contribution towards the legalization of same-sex marriage.

“People don’t think Ohio as being one of the more open-minded states. It’s really cool that we’re opening up and showing support for the community,” said Allison Landrum, 12, president of SHS’ GSTA club.

According to WLWT5, Councilman Chris Seelbach calls this event a milestone.

“It was just 14 years ago that many considered Cincinnati the most anti-gay city in the country,” Seelbach said in his speech, which was filmed by the local news station.

While Cincinnati weather has been full of rain, downtown has just gotten more colorful.

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

SHS reacts to Notre-Dame fire

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

Seniors: Fill out survey for the Senior Leaf

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

Kling attends Coca-Cola Scholars Banquet

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

Remembering 20 years ago

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

New era of fashion

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

Cincinnati Children’s Museum’s Revisions Overview Cincinnati Children’s Museum

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

One from 95,000

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

Lynx Project prepares to perform at SHS

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

Psychology students take time to be grateful and de-stress

• Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride

New fossil discovery

Cincinnati celebrates LGBT pride