National Honor Society attracts new prospects

Anisa Khatana

STAND-OUT STUDENTS. NHS prospects read through the prospective members packets distributed at the meeting as they wait for the Sep. 25 meeting to start. Prospects were notified of the meeting by way of forms distributed in classes the previous week. “There are five components for prospects and those are three school activities, 30 service hours for juniors and 45 for seniors, a 3.6 GPA, five short answers, and a 250-word personal statement,” said officer Peyton Gilhart, 12.

On Tues., Sep. 25 at 2:30 p.m., National Honor Society (NHS) filled the Synnovation Lab with exceptional students from the junior and senior classes.

This mandatory meeting for prospective NHS members marked the official start of the organization’s operations for the year, though officers have been in communication with prospects and current members since late July.

Officers Hannah Kirkham, Luis Pereda Amaya, Kyra Fales, Kevin Landrum, and Peyton Gilhart, seniors, discussed deadlines, requirements, and more.

“We went over important details. We specifically reviewed the application process and went through the details of how to apply,” Gilhart said.

In order to apply, prospects must provide documentation of three school activities in which they have participated, 15 hours of community service for each completed year of high school, and a weighted GPA of 3.6 or higher.

The application also requires five short answer responses and a personal statement.

Despite the effort required to apply, the officers asserted, NHS membership brings with it numerous benefits.

Members have the opportunity to build their resumes, network with leaders, receive member benefits, meet new people, and join a tradition of honor that began in 1921.

“I want to [join to] be open to more leadership opportunities,” said Sophia Taylor, 11, prospective member.

The officers also emphasized the importance of maintaining responsibility and meeting deadlines throughout the application process.

Completed applications should be turned in to room 214 by Fri., Oct. 12 at 2:30 p.m. Accepted members will be “tapped” in late Oct.  

Sources: