Stepping Out Club: Exchanging gifts,exchanging smiles

Stepping Out Club members got in a circle to exchange gifts. Every December, the club has a Secret Santa where they get two presents before the party then one at the party. Food and drinks took place in the beginning part of the party. All photos courtesy of Lauren Kurtzer.

Once a month Stepping Out Club meets with a theme each time, normally associated with a holiday in that month. In December they had a Secret Friend gift exchange party to go along with Christmas.

“I am excited to get my present, it made Christmas feel a lot closer,” said Hannah Abramson, 12, before she received her present.

Each Secret Friend was chosen by the Stepping Out Board as everyone who was interested filled out a form to say their likes.

They would get paper telling who their person was and ideas from the form to give them as a present. The form was made to insure everyone got a gift they liked.

“Everything went well with getting ready for the party and everyone was excited over the week,” said Ms. Lindsay Schroeder, club advisor.

“I love this meeting.  People who don’t come do,” senior Katie Touvelle, club president, said.

On Tuesday and Wednesday everyone gave and got a gift before the exchange Thursday. There were monetary limits and used the forms to know what their Secret Pal would of liked.

After everyone had food and drink and time to socialize, they got in a circle to get their gift from their Secret Friend. A person started and gave their and whoever their Secret Pal was would give it to theirs and so on.

Once they received their gift and knew who their pal was, a smile was caught on everyone’s face.

Spreading holiday cheer brought the excitement of the holidays on a cold December day at SHS.

To know if you are a giver or receiver, take this quiz:

1. Making gifts yourself is better than buying a gift.
A. Yes   B. Depends on the gift   C. No

2. Receiving homemade gifts are more personal.
A. Yes   B. Depends on the gift   C. No

3. A gift is a gift; it is the thought that counts.
A. Yes   B. Depends on the gift   C. No

4. Giving gifts to friends is important to me to show that they are important to me.
A. Yes   B. Depends on the gift   C. No

5. Whenever I receive a gift I feel obligated to return the favor.
A. Yes   B. Depends on the gift   C. No

Mostly A’s: You know during this holiday season that if someone thinks of you it’s a compliment, if you want to return the favor always keep a gift card or candy handy; something small but meaningful. Giver

Mostly B’s: The value of the gift is more important, try to think of why they would give it to you and think more of the thought not the price. Receiver

Mostly C’s: You realize that gifts are a big part of the holidays but with homework, extra circulars etc. it is hard to make gifts or get them. Gift cards are easy to get and not super expensive. Receiver