• Band Concert Jan. 10

• Winter break Dec. 21- Jan 6

• End of second quarter Dec. 20

Filed under News

SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

BLUE+WAVE.+Democrats+gained+control+of+the+House+after+the+midterm+elections.+However%2C+Ohio%E2%80%99s+first+and+second+Congressional+districts+voted+for+Republican+representatives.+In+SHS%E2%80%99+mock+election+for+the+second+district%2C+Jill+Schiller+was+favored+over+Brad+Wenstrup.+

SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

BLUE WAVE. Democrats gained control of the House after the midterm elections. However, Ohio’s first and second Congressional districts voted for Republican representatives. In SHS’ mock election for the second district, Jill Schiller was favored over Brad Wenstrup.

Wilton Blake

Wilton Blake

Wilton Blake

From politicians to celebrities, “go vote” was the nationwide message for the midterm elections on Nov. 6, 2018. And many did. News outlets everywhere are anticipating a record-breaking voter turnout for midterms.

For SHS, eyes were on Ohio’s First Congressional District, where Democrat candidate Aftab Pureval was challenging Republican incumbent Steve Chabot for the seat in the House.

While many students also live in the second district, Pureval had gained a considerable following among SHS students. The clerk of courts had previously attended an SHS cross country race on Oct. 13, 2018, after the team had reached out to him over Instagram.

“I was really surprised he responded and even showed up. He gave one of our runners a box of donuts too,” said Shinya Nakahata, 12.

In a mock election by Mr. Ashwin Corattiyil, 68.5 percent of students voted in favor of Pureval. However, it was Chabot who took the win at midterms. Chabot won around 52 percent to Pureval’s 46 percent.

“I can assure you… I will do what is in the best interest of the people here at home and what’s best for the nation,” Chabot said, according to Cincinnati.com.

Not only did the Republican have the incumbent advantage, having held the position in Congress almost uninterrupted since 1995, but Chabot also benefited from gerrymandering, where Republican-heavy Warren County was added to the first district by Republicans after the 2010 census.

Sources:

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

Controversial ‘stand your ground’ bill sparks controversy in Ohio

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

Activists stand up to hate

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

SHS students swap gifts

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

NHS new members join the club

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

Winner!

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

Democrats win more than just House

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

Sycamore community dances for kindness

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

Country comes to no consensus

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

Cincinnati hosts coffee festival

• SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race

Future lawyer deliberate on season start

SHS watches Pureval, Chabot race