• No school April 19

• No school April 22

• Prom April 27, 8:00 p.m.

Solo and Ensemble students shine

SOLO+AND+ENSEMBLE.+Students+across+the+high+school+and+junior+high+performed+on+Saturday.+Each+student+receives+a+score+sheet+and+individual+comments+from+each+judge.%E2%80%9CWe+got+a+score+of+1%2C+it+was+really+rewarding%E2%80%9D+said+Patrick+Ma%2C+10.+

Solo and Ensemble students shine

SOLO AND ENSEMBLE. Students across the high school and junior high performed on Saturday. Each student receives a score sheet and individual comments from each judge.“We got a score of 1, it was really rewarding” said Patrick Ma, 10.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Every year in late January, the Ohio Music Education Association (OMEA) provides an opportunity for soloists and ensembles to be adjudicated for their performance. This year, Solo and Ensemble took place at Elder High School on Sat., Jan. 26.

Students typically begin picking the music in December and start to practice in January. Musicians can either perform a solo with or without piano accompaniment, and ensembles can range from two to five players. Orchestra, band and choir students all take part.

High school participants must choose from a provided list of music while Junior High students can play whatever they choose, with difficulty levels divided into A, B, and C.

Registering as a soloist requires an $18 fee, and the ensemble fee of $23 is typically divided amongst the players of the ensemble.

Each group or soloist is given a rating of one-three, with one being proficient, two having small mistakes but overall good performance, and three is lacking in several areas. Most Sycamore performers bring home ones and twos.

“I got a high score of one. It was really fun, and they provided lots of delicious food; the layout was very confusing and it was very crowded, so having a big instrument was hard to move around with,” said Madison Crouch, 9.

The performances are open to the public, with friends and family as well as music directors encouraged to support musicians. However, any type of recording results in disqualification.

“I thought it was kind of cool to take time practicing with our ensembles to prepare for something that was quite different from what we do in orchestra,” said Patrick Ma, 10.  

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

Kathie Lee Gifford says goodbye to “Today”

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

The book one shouldn’t read at night

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

Netflix originals aim to please

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

‘Five Feet Apart’ hits theaters

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

Why I wash my face with oil

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

‘Who’s She?’

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

NBC series ‘The Night Shift’ canceled

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

Rebanded brothers release top-streaming single

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Upside’

• Solo and Ensemble students shine

Arts & Entertainment

K-pop goes to Grammys

Solo and Ensemble students shine