Sincerely, your Seniors

TRADITION.+Tossing+the+graduation+tassel+is+a+tradition+to+signal+the+end+of+the+ceremonies.+The+flight+of+the+hat+symbolizes+the+flight+of+the+graduate+to+wherever+life+takes+them+%28CNY+News%29.+

Pixabay

TRADITION. Tossing the graduation tassel is a tradition to signal the end of the ceremonies. The flight of the hat symbolizes the flight of the graduate to wherever life takes them (CNY News).

Dear Underclassmen,

Our time as seniors are almost over. With less than a month until graduation, we are practically done. AP exams and Senior Events, such as Field Day and Launch Day put us at less than 15 days of school left. You have probably heard many of us say that we can’t wait to leave and get out this town. And even though most of us are counting down the days until we walk across that stage, many of us are still sad that this chapter of our life is over.

Although we are beginning a new chapter, SHS will forever be our home, even years after we graduate. We are moving away from home and our families, being forced to make new friends and decisions that will impact the rest of our lives. It is scary! Our advice to you, don’t long for graduation, relish every day and make something of it.

For some of you, we’ve spent three years in this school together making memories that we will forever remember. We are going to miss you all so much. Many believe that high school is the “best time of your life”  Those four years fly by fast and are often the most memorable. Major League Baseball player, Giancarlo Stanton, says that “High school is what kind of grows you into the person you are. I have great memories, good and bad, some learning experiences and some that I’ll take with me the rest of my life”. The memories that you make in high school will stay with you forever.

According to Stage of Life, over 45% of teens say that “they have their best memories from school in high school”. Furthermore, over 86% of teens say “ they enjoy school” and the percentage increases even more for females.

We have all been in your shoes before and we know how you are feeling. You are being weighed down by tests, quizzes, projects and daily homework and you are wishing for school to be over. Soon, you’ll be studying for the end of year exams and be extremely stressed out.

When we were your age, we dreamed of walking across the stage and receiving our diploma. We thought it would never happen, especially as a freshman. Four years seems like an eternity, however, it is extremely small in comparison to the rest of your life and it flies by oh so quickly.  Once you graduate, everything changes and you will not realize how much time you wasted wishing it was over until it is over.  

The Center for Public Education reports that “ Most [American] schools require between 175 and 180 days of school and/or between 900 and 1,000 hours of instructional time per year, depending on the grade level”. That’s a lot of time spent in school, so why not make the most of it?

Here are just a few quick tips to live out the best years of your high school career!

#1 Appreciate the people around you. There a bunch of people that help you each and every day. Thank them for everything that they do for you.

#2 Get involved! Join more clubs and extracurriculars that interest you. Go to sporting events to support your classmates and friends. Attend school dances to feel even more of the community that Sycamore has.

#3 Stay on top of things, but do not stress when you get one bad grade. Do your school work and try your best on assignments and test but as a wise person once said, “if it does not matter a week from now, then do not worry about it.” Grades do matter but they are not the end all be all for getting into college or wherever you want to go after high school.

Sincerely,

The class of 2019!

P.S. Congrats on making it one more year! You are one year closer to graduation.