SHS students take on meditation

Linya Guo

Recently, the senior English classes had an assignment of meditating for 10 minutes, an activity inspired by their unit on the book “Siddhartha” by Hermann Hesse. Then they had to write a reflection on their experience. Some students feel that meditation is not beneficial for them at all. However, others like Emil Barr believe that meditation has many positive effects on their well being.

Hundreds of cultures and religions across the globe practice a form of meditation, whether for spiritual practice or to just ease the mind. 

Recently, the senior English classes had an assignment of meditating for 10 minutes, an activity inspired by their unit on the book “Siddhartha” by Hermann Hesse. Then they had to write a reflection on their experience.

Some students feel that meditation is not beneficial for them at all. 

“It was an interesting experience because I’ve never taken the time to do it before…I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible for the human mind to do absolutely nothing because even if you’re not doing something you’re still thinking…so I don’t really see a point in [meditation],” said Heather Song, 12.

Others, such as senior Emil Barr, thinks highly of meditation and its effects. 

“It was very reflective. I meditate daily but I think that it really does help filter out all of the stuff that happens around us and we’re under a lot of stress,” Barr said.

Barr also discusses the stereotype versus the reality of meditation. 

“I don’t think it’s so much about ignoring your stress or taking a break which [people] make it seem, it’s more of just accepting [the stress]. And understanding that being stressed and feeling that way is necessarily natural…I started meditating daily around half a year ago, and it has been very beneficial,” Barr said.

Although meditation may not seem appealing to the younger generations and their busy lives, it is encouraged to clear the mind, ease any stress or difficulties, and feel better about oneself.