Future Fridays

The Synnovation Lab’s showcase of skills

Maya Bierhoff

Maxwell Taylor, 11, a “Future Friday” session teacher, hosted an “Art and Animation” class. “I thought animation was [a hobby] that I could teach, and that people tend to gravitate towards,”  said Taylor, “I thought it would be fun to teach people who would like to learn it”.

If you have ever wanted to learn about playing viola, sewing, PC-building, or floorplanning, the SHS Synnovation Lab’s “Future Friday” has you covered. A new show to the “Synn Lab” stage, Future Friday has become a day students anticipate. 

Synnovation Lab is a combination of two things: Sycamore, and innovation. The program strives to let students learn independently from regular classes at the school, while still preparing them for a bright future at college and beyond. 

“Future Friday” is a program that was introduced to the Synn Lab last year, focusing on the exploration of topics beyond the school curriculum. Each Synnovation lab student hosts a session where they teach a skill or hobby of theirs. This can range from any topic, whether educational or fun-based. Students can choose which sessions they want to teach and attend. These sessions happen multiple times per month in order for every student to teach their own unique experience. Maxwell Taylor, 11, a “Future Friday” session teacher, hosted an “Art and Animation” class. “I thought animation was [a hobby] that I could teach, and that people tend to gravitate towards,”  said Taylor, “I thought it would be fun to teach people who would like to learn it”.

However, “Future Friday” is not only a program for fun stuff. Past sessions have been hosted about managing high school wisely, owning your first car, and other life skills that may not strike a high schooler’s interest otherwise.

Navote Zmora, 10, attended a session and had very warm reviews. “I think it’s great that we have this idea for workshops because you very much get to explore your own creativity, and not only just creativity, but your own interests and yourself.” Zmora said, “It’s such a pity no other classes do this.” 

Another sophomore, Celia Shafer, says “I use Future Friday as an opportunity to bond with people in the lab, and even put some thought into what I want to do after high school”. 

As Sycamore Synnovation Lab students mature throughout their academic careers, they know that they will get a well rounded education from their peers, and will gain valuable experiences in public speaking. No matter what interest or skill, Synnovation Lab has you covered with their “Future Friday” program.