Swimmers race into end of the season

Grant Girten, 12 is swimming the 100 yard backstroke. He will compete in the 500 yard freestyle at Districts this year. Girten is a distance freestyler and a backstroker.
Grant Girten, 12, swims the 100 yard backstroke. He will compete in the 500 yard freestyle at Districts this year. Girten is a distance freestyler and a backstroker. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.

The swim season is winding down, there are a maximum of two meets left in the season, Districts and the State meet. However for some people their swim season is already over.

Some of the swimmers did not make it onto the Sectionals roster, where each team is allowed only four swimmers for each event. For the people that made it to Sectionals they have to place top 32 in their event to qualify for Districts.

“My season ended after Sectionals, it’s kind of sad because I’m going to miss everyone but I am really happy with how I did this season and am looking forward to next year,” said Maya Sheth, 10.

For those that made it to the District meet, swimmers will have to place in the top two at their site to automatically make it to the State meet. If a competitor does not place in the top two, they must be in the top 24 out of all of the sites to make it to the State meet.

“It’s extremely competitive trying to make it to the state meet. If you do not qualify for an individual event you also have the chance to go on a relay, but it’s really competitive to get on a relay as well,” said Annie Moreno, 10.

Districts will take place Feb. 14 for the boys team and Feb. 15 for the girls team, both located at Miami University. The State meet will be on Feb. 21-22 which is in Canton, Ohio.

The swimmers from SHS who will be competing at Districts are as follows:

• Lily Retford, 9
  • Annie Moreno, 10
  • Priscilla Wu, 10
  • Mary Fry, 10
  • Jory Gould, 10
  • Elizabeth Walden, 10
  • Hannah May, 9
  • Isabelle Jimenez, 9
  • Jordan Elder, 12
  • Cara Norris, 11
  • Mark Hancher, 11
  • Ben Thiss, 11
  • Max Cappel, 12
  • Benjamin Hammer, 12
  • Ethan May, 11
  • Jiho Choi, 9
  • Christopher Seger, 10
  • Rick Niu, 11
  • John Heldman, 11
  • Grant Girten, 12
  • Isaac Goldstein, 11
  • Joe Moreno, 11

To learn more about the District, State meet and the SHS swim team click here.