Mr. Sycamore gives back

Mr. Sycamore is an annual charity event on February 28 at 7:30 pm in the little Theatre. The tickets cost $4  in advanced and $5 on the night of the event. Ten boys will participate in raising money for Operation Give Back. Photo Courtesy of McDaniel's Photography
Mr. Sycamore is an annual charity event on Feb. 28 at 7:30 pm in the little Theatre. The tickets cost $4 in advanced and $5 on the night of the event. Ten boys will participate in raising money for Operation Give Back. Photo Courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.

One of the charities that has the greatest impact on the SHS community is Operation Give Back (OGB).

OGB does this by having older students tutor and mentor students from the junior high, Greene, and the elementary schools.

“What I think is so special about OGB is that we are helping kids from own school district. The kids we tutor come from the junior high, Greene, and the elementary schools. The woman [Mrs. Langston] that runs it does an absolutely fantastic job preparing these children for not just school but the rest of life,” said Bryan Waterhouse, 12, volunteer.

Not only does OGB work with students but it helps the elderly in the community along with families who are not able to provide for themselves.

Due to this Mr. Sycamore has decided to donate all of the money raised at their event to OGB.

“I’m really excited about being a judge for Mr. Sycamore but even more excited about raising money for Operation Give Back,” said Ms. Marilyn Ray, history teacher and judge.

Mr. Sycamore is an annual event that raises money for a chosen charity. This year it has chosen OGB. Mr. Sycamore has ten guys participate in a series of activities with the goal of making the crowd laugh.

Money will be raised for OGB through the boys. Silver milk jugs will be present at lunch on Feb. 26, 27, and 28 for donations. Also, the boys will walk around asking for donations all day on the 28.

Whichever participant raises the most money will win “Mr. Congeniality,” giving them an incentive the money.

“Being in Mr. Sycamore is a great opportunity to give back. It should be a fun night too and I can’t wait for it,” said Mitchell Hill, 12.