When celebrity stars burn out

Celebs at NY Fashion Week
Celebrities have become examples of ignorance within our society. Kim Kardashian, for example, is famous for no discernible reason. But even so she has a show devoted solely to her life, “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.” Photo courtesy of MCT Photo.

The Oscars are one of the most prestigious red carpet events. For four and a half hours on Mar. 2 celebrities from all over the world are seated in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. Millions will watch on television as they present and receive awards.

Why are we, as culture, so entranced by these so called ‘famous’ people? What about their lives captivates our attention for hours on end?

Maybe what keeps us enthralled is the negative nature of their lives, the fact there often times is no happy ending. The contrast of the joyous movie endings and the depressing reality keeps our minds and hearts in check.

Regardless of the cause behind our endless attention, what is obvious is that we cannot resist the juicy details about the lives of our favorite stars, from the clothes they wear to the food they eat.

Becoming lost in the problems of celebrities has become a favorite pass time of Americans. Escaping one’s own problems and immersing one’s self into those of another seems about counterproductive though.

Stars seem to have transformed from role models into demonstrations of what not to do and how not to act. And I honestly see no value in them for our modern society.