Baseball tryouts quickly approach

Angry, tense, and jumpy are just a few words that describe the week of baseball tryouts. Coach Chris Shrimpton just released the itinerary for the tryout dates.

This season, Coach ChrisShrimpton will have a new assistant coach next to him. Coach Mason, who played here ten years ago, will help his high school out. He will hope to turn the SHS baseball program around.
This season, Coach Chris Shrimpton, will have a new assistant coach next to him. Coach Mason, who played here ten years ago, will help his high school out. He will hope to turn the SHS baseball program around.

Starting on Feb. 24, all players will report to the athletic team room at 4:30 p.m. to turn in all forms such as physical, emergency medical, concussion, and athletic eligibility forms.

At 5:00 p.m., the tryouts will begin. In the past, the first day is always the hardest of the week. The coaches usually tell the players to run a certain distance. Last year it was 16 laps around the track, or four miles.

“The run last season was so difficult, I am not looking forward to it this year,” said Brady Ridener, 12.

After all the players are gassed and breathless, they simply toss with each other and then begin fielding ground balls and pop flies.

The pitchers and catchers will split off into one group while the infielders and outfielders will split off into another group. Each group will participate in specific drills to help them get better.

“When we split off into our position groups, I feel like I learn more,” said Matthew Groene, 12.

Every tryout will end at 8:00 p.m. The rest of the week will also start at 5:00 p.m. There is a possibility that pitchers and catchers will report to practice at 6:00 a.m. This will give the coaches time to pick the best players that they want on their team.

There will be a total of three cuts during the week. The coaches will come together and announce the cuts after practice on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.

“This is always the worst part of the week because some of our friends don’t make it and that is hard on us,” said Ryan McCann, 11.

The season begins on Mar. 31 when SHS hosts Colerain. After a dismal five and 18 record last season, they want to avoid that horrific start and beat the Cardinals on SHS home field.

For more information on the upcoming season/schedule, please click here.