Wind at their backs: Winter Track competes in second meet

Winter Track athletes stretch in the Commons of the school. Due to the arctic temperatures, the team was forced to cancel the first three meets and maneuver inside the school in order to practice. That, along with the smaller numbers of upperclassmen, have forced the team to be patient as they build the team and strive for success. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography
Winter Track athletes stretch in the Commons of the school. Due to the arctic temperatures, the team was forced to cancel the first three meets and maneuver inside the school in order to practice. That, along with the smaller numbers of upperclassmen, have forced the team to be patient as they build the team and strive for success.
Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography

A 200-meter track surrounds an inner field, along with a row of stands along the back wall and various roped-off areas for field events. Every square inch is filled with people: the stands, the inner field, the track itself.

Blank gunshots are alternately heard as races start, followed by screams of encouragement from athletes and parents on all sides.

Staff members hold two long blue ropes, guiding athletes through a small pathway across the track that serves as the only connection between the stands and the inner field.

Depending on the way one looks at it, this could be either chaos or excitement, but both describe the Richey High School Tune-Up Meet at Cedarville University on Feb. 8.

Following a delayed start in the season due to weather, Winter Track took a young team to their second meet overall. Most of the athletes were freshmen and sophomores.

“I was incredibly nervous to compete in my first meet, especially with the pain I had in my hip. During the race, though, I kind of forgot about it.

“Afterwards, I realized what I had done, and I just felt exhilarated,” said Rachel Ledderbie, 9.

Ledderbie was part of the 800 meter relay team, along with her teammate Rachel Haupt, 10, who fought hard for first place at the finish line.

That fight caused her to step out of bounds close to the finish line, leading to a disqualification. However, Mr. Hank Ray, head coach, does not look to the technicalities.

“I don’t care if my athletes get disqualified, as long as they compete. That is my focus for every meet: not to win, not to get the most points, but to compete, because competing normally leads to those victories,” said Ray.

Highlights of the meet include:

• The men’s 800 meter relay placed first overall
  • The girl’s 800 meter relay A team placed third overall
  • Ray Berling, 10, placed fourth in the 3200 meter run
  • Jamar Hunter, 12, placed second in the 55 meter dash
  • Victoria Swart, 11, placed first in the pole vault

As one of only four seniors on the team, Ryan Stoneberger, 11, sees major progress in his teammates.

“Everyone improved their times and their confidence in their races. The same goes for me: I felt confident in my abilities, and I surprised myself with the result. I’m hoping we can eventually take a group to States,” said Stoneberger.

The team plans to take a week off in preparation for their next on Feb. 23 at Capital University
.