Taking on the tennis courts

Josephine Fernandez, 9, sets her feet for a serve during practice. She defeated Indian Hill, Ursuline, and MND in the Coach’s Classic with her doubles partner, Sabrina Kaul. Four people ended up winning the back draw finals and Sycamore placed third place.
Josephine Fernandez, 9, sets her feet for a serve during practice. She defeated Indian Hill, Ursuline, and Mount Notre Dame in the Coach’s Classic with her doubles partner, Sabrina Kaul, also 9. Four people ended up winning the back draw finals and SHS placed third.

The JV tennis team’s season is coming to a close. With a defeat from Mason and Indian Hill, the team still fought through the rest of the season.

While the tennis courts are under reconstruction, they have had to travel to most of their matches.

“It’s been hectic, but I’m excited to have newly re-done courts along with the shelter,” said Sara Sotoropa, 9.

At the Coaches Classic, the JV tennis team faced eight other teams to compete for the championships. Sydney Miller, 9, won the back draw finals against Seven Hills in second singles, while Josephine Fernandez, 10, and Sabrina Kaul, 10, had a tough fight against Mount Notre Dame but ended up winning the back draw finals.

“I’m really proud of our team. We had a great season and I can’t wait to see what comes around next year,” said Fernandez.

“I’m sad the season is coming to an end even though we had some hard matches, but I’m looking forward to next season,” said Ali Richter, 10.