New Cell Phone for four year olds

the Filip is being sold for at AT&T. It costs a total of $199. It comes in several colors.
The Filip is being sold for at AT&T. It costs a total of $199. It comes in several colors. Image by Rujula Kapoor.

As the years pass the average age that children get phones is decreasing and decreasing. However a new product is pushing that envelope even further.

“I got my first phone when I was 12. Four is way too young,” said Danielle Pratt,9.

The new Filip, which is what they’re calling the new calling device and GPS device system, is made out of rubber and can worn on your hand. The product costs $200 and is meant for children between four and eight years old.

There are two buttons on the watch: one that allows calling to occur and the other that allows the child to view their contacts. Parents can also send short texts to their child but they cannot reply.

The GPS system can track your child location for up to 48 hours and includes five safe zones. You will get alerts when your child leaves or enters any zone. It also has an emergency button on the app which will contact 911.

“My parents didn’t track me when I was little and there isn’t much of a need,” said Akshara Kapoor,9.

There are however a few problems in this technology because there isn’t good Wi-Fi connection, making service spotty.