Running to the start of the season

Coach Hank Ray at one of the meets at shs. Coach Ray has was awarded best coach in the gmcs last season. He is the sprinting coach for the track team. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.
Coach Hank Ray surveys one of the meets at SHS. Coach Ray was awarded Best Coach in the GMCs last season. He is the sprinting coach for the track team. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.

With the spring track season getting into full swing of the season meets will become more and more frequent.  Also, practices will start pick up in intensity and in time.  As the season progresses practices will start to be held in the morning similar to Cross Country (CC). Track and CC are both similar in the sense that each must increase the amount of practices because of the amount of meets.

“The reason I do both is because of the routine that is set up early in the season, it promotes discipline which is very important even for a runner,” said Misha Sweeney, 10.

Practices can run longer and involve more. For long distance, they are trained for endurance and high amounts of stamina for events such as the mile run and the relays. For sprinters it is all about finding the secrets of shaving off tenths of seconds so they can be faster than the next guy. For the athletes in the field events in is all about hitting the weight room so they can get stronger.

“We don’t even need the [Gregory Center], running is the only thing we need to worry about,”  said Max Brown, 10.

Whatever the event is the one thing that all track athletes need is that one person they look to the most.  For most it is Coach Hank Ray.  He was named Coach of the Year last year and looking for a repeat of that for this track season.

“I think Coach Ray is one of the best coaches SHS has,” said Brian Jenkins, 11.