Bracket competitions bring people together

The billion dollar bracket brought millions of people across the country to enter. Only two days into the challenge everybody has been eliminated. Even though no one won the $1 billion, the top 20 scores will still get $100,000.  Image by Isaac Goldstein.
The billion dollar bracket brought millions of people across the country to enter. Only two days into the challenge everybody has been eliminated. Even though no one won the $1 billion, the top 20 scores will still get $100,000. Image by Isaac Goldstein.

In January, Warren Buffet offered $1 billion for the perfect NCAA Basketball tournament bracket. Millions of people entered, but after only two days of the tournament, there was not a single person left.

“I entered the competition, not expecting to win, but when I found out that everyone was out so soon, I was shocked,” said Gabe Schenker, 12.

Buffet, though is already looking towards next year. He told the press that he will do the challenge again, and next year it will be easier to enter and easier to win.

“I believe the bracket competition was a fun challenge. It drew in more interest in the tournament and got people rallied being the possible hope of winning $1 billion,” said Schenker.

The billion dollar bracket challenge is not the only one out there. Many communities have bracket challenges within themselves as a way to have a little fun and some friendly competition.

“I actually entered a couple of different brackets in my neighborhood’s competition. Each bracket was three dollars to enter and there is a small prize for the top three winners,” said Nick Frankowski, 11.

In most cases, the winnings people receive are nominal, but the fun is what lures people to enter. Bracket challenges bring people together to cheer for one of our country’s most popular sports.