New club offers opportunities for future engineers

MCT Photo

Students plan to build drones to get birds-eye-view of events. Drones will be hand built by students and teachers. The students will promote their abilities when their footage is aired on Spartan TV.

Engineering club, headed by Mr. Mike Gutekunst, is one of the newest clubs being offered to students, being its first year.

“I think it’s great that Sycamore added a club for people interested in engineering,” sophomore Sarita Evans said.

Club meetings are every Thursday after school from 3:15 p.m. to 5 p.m, giving the participants the time needed to work on projects, and to develop and share their ideas.

“I think that having an Engineering Club at the high school is a great idea,” freshman Max Snyder said.

The club will be building and researching a variety of projects. One thing they look forward to building is a drone to fly over and survey school events.

“It’s so cool.  I can’t believe students at our school are doing stuff like this,” freshman Lorae Stojanovic said.

They also hope to use the drones they create to get overhead footage of events to possibly be aired on Spartan TV.