Water polo searches for replacement rookies

McDaniel's Photography

Senior Mark Hancher is one of eight graduating seniors. The water polo team is in desperate need of more freshman to replace them. Lack of interest in the sport has caused some concern about future success for the team.

The Boys Varsity Water Polo Team will graduate eight seniors. With only five returning seniors next year, the team will need their younger players to step up and claim spots on the Varsity team.

There were only six other players with experience, which means that freshmen will have to prove that they can handle playing on a high-caliber team next year.

“I think that the young players will really help meet the standards that the seniors have laid out this year,” junior Tyler Miller said.

The coaches are hopeful for a successful year even with the large number of graduates. With a promising sophomore class, they believe that the team can be successful.

“Our younger players have really improved, especially our sophomores. I think that even with a large graduating class we will be able to make a deep run into the state tournament next year,” Coach Nicholas Hellwig said.

Some people are more concerned about the future for the water polo team. There is not a large interest in water polo and some worry that the seats of the graduating seniors will not be filled by incoming freshman.

“People aren’t really into water polo so I’m worried that we won’t be able to get enough freshmen to replace the seniors,” sophomore Alex McDuffe said.

The water polo team website can be found here.