New Jewish Student Union club launches

A+group+of+students+led+by+senior+Eli+Seidman+Deutsch+form+a+Jewish+Student+Union.+The+club+plans+to+revolve+around+traditional+Jewish+activities.+It+will+be+all-encompassing+for+members+of+the+Jewish+community+and+those+who+are+not.+

Kathryn Tenbarge

A group of students led by senior Eli Seidman Deutsch form a Jewish Student Union. The club plans to revolve around traditional Jewish activities. It will be all-encompassing for members of the Jewish community and those who are not.

The first meeting of the Jewish Student (JSU) was held on Sept. 24. Students met Wednesday at 2:35 p.m. in Room 130. They covered many bases and did exciting hands-on activities.

Senior Eli Seidman-Deustch and junior Max Fritzhand, founders of the club, are working together to achieve the following goals for JSU:

• To build a sense of community at SHS
  • Join all different kinds of Jewish people together for awesome food, fun, friends and togetherness
  • Learn more about your Jewish identity in a chill setting.

The club’s first meeting was centered on Rosh Hashana, because Rosh Hashana starts at sundown. Students that attended the meeting munched on delicious pizza and had a pre-Rosh Hashana party. The students also made caramel apples.

“I’m happy that SHS finally has a Judaism club. JSU has great potential for the Jewish community,” junior Noah Silverman said.

The club has the goals of getting every Jew involved as well as reaching out to non-Jews,  as well as connecting people to their Jewish identities in a world where we sometimes even forget who we are and why we are here.

“We should get everyone involved in this amazing club. I think it will change your perspective on Judaism,” JSU adviser Leora Balk said.

JSU is a nationwide club, and is funded by NCSY (National Conference of Synagogue Youth). The youth group has the same intentions as the club: to connect, inspire and empower Jewish teens and encourage passionate Judaism through Torah and tradition.