Fresh projects line up for freshmen

Andrew Ovington

Freshmen in the past completed family history projects, displayed during Open House. These projects have helped students learn more about their family’s history, as well as their country of origin. Just as they have served as a tool for learning, they will continue to serve as one in the future.

As the second quarter of the school year begins, students are assigned and anticipate projects and exams. All freshmen taking World History Accelerated will have a 200-point “Family History Project” due by the end of the quarter.

This project is appointed to freshmen each year, and is then presented during Open House.

“When I did the Family History Project as a freshman, I actually learned a lot about my family’s history,” sophomore Kiley Schafer said.

Schafer is a student who was in World History Accelerated last year, and received the project. She believes that although the project may be tedious, it does help you learn about your ancestry and country of origin.

“I don’t know much about my family history right now. But, after I complete the project I hopefully will have more knowledge about my family history,” freshman Matthew Isakson said.

A myriad of students in the past have learned a great deal from this project, including students who attended SHS as far back as 10 years ago.

“If the project has lasted this long, it must be important for us in the future. I look forward to

seeing how it will affect my life as I get older,” Isakson said.

For many generations to come, each will be required to do their own Family History Projects. Generations who will hopefully fathom why the project has been assigned, and learn a great deal about their own family history from it.

For more information of the Family History Project, visit shsleaf.org.