Students save up for concerts

Confetti+falls+at+the+One+Direction+concert+in+Chicago+in+summer+of+2014.+Several+groups+of+students+traveled+five+hours+for+the+event.+Many+bought+their+tickets+a+year+in+advance.+

Molly Gearin

Confetti falls at the One Direction concert in Chicago in summer of 2014. Several groups of students traveled five hours for the event. Many bought their tickets a year in advance.

For generations musical performances have been a popular and convenient source of entertainment. Recently, with the capability of online purchasing, music artists are beginning to sell tickets for events over a year away.

“We bought our tickets to see One Direction in June of 2013 in May of 2012,” senior Molly Gearin said.

Over the past 10 years, there has been a steady decline in the number of hard copy tickets. As a result, online ticket sites such as Ticketmaster and Stubhub have flourished.

Popular artists such as One Direction, Justin Timberlake, and Beyonce have taken full advantage of this new system. Rather than announcing tickets months in advance, some are selling tickets for events over a year away.

Popular artist Ed Sheeran went on an American tour this fall, with the closest venue being in Nashville, TN. Still, some students decided to make the long trip to see the singer.

“I was planning on going, and I would have for sure if I did not have a conflict,” senior Jessica Hobart said.

Some students justify their long waits and trips for the love of the music.

“Whenever tickets come out and I really like the band, I always wonder: how many times will I be able to do this in my life? Not many. I think it’s a good opportunity to take full advantage of being able to see your favorite singer while you’re young and still can. Eventually they won’t be as successful. I don’t want to have any regrets if I don’t see a band,” Hobart said.