Freshman boys trump Mason with buzzer beater

+++Freshman+guard+Kevin+Russell+stands+at+the+top+of+the+key.+Russell+hit+a+++game-winning+three+pointer+as+the+final+buzzer+sounded+in+a+game+against+Mason.+However%2C+he+broke+his+ankle+while+playing+up+on+the+JV+team+just+hours+after+his+buzzer+beater.%0A%0APhoto+by+McDaniel%E2%80%99s+Photography%0A

Freshman guard Kevin Russell stands at the top of the key. Russell hit a game-winning three pointer as the final buzzer sounded in a game against Mason. However, he broke his ankle while playing up on the JV team just hours after his buzzer beater. Photo by McDaniel’s Photography

Thanks to a buzzer beater for the win in the fourth quarter by freshman Kevin Russell, the freshman boy’s basketball team defeated the rival Mason Comets by a score of 39-38 on Tuesday Feb. 3rd.

Russell finished the game with 13 points after hitting the game winning three-pointer as time expired.

“It was a pretty amazing feeling to make a buzzer beater against a rival like Mason,” said Russell.

Eighth total players found the hoop and scored for the Aves, which meant that everyone pitched in for the win.

“The team worked hard all game and never gave up,” said head coach Eddie Clark. “The entire team was into the game all night and no one cared who got credit for anything. It was a great team win.”

The freshman boys’ next game is this Friday against Middletown. However, Russell will not be playing because of an ankle injury he received while playing up on the JV team just hours later.