Racing into states

Wu prepares to do a relay start during warm ups. For meet warm ups, each team usually receives two lanes and 30 minutes to warm up. It is important to prepare your body to race. Photo by Jean Wu.

Swimmers qualified for the Ohio High School District meet competed at Miami University on Sun. Feb. 22. The boys session was in the morning and the girls session was in the afternoon.

Swimmers who placed in the top 32 at the sectional meet qualified for districts. Those who place top 24 out of every district move onto the Ohio high school state meet.

“We had a lot more individuals make it to the state meet this year, it’s great to see the team improving,” junior Priscilla Wu said.

The relays that qualified for state meet are:

• Girls 200 medley relay- Juniors Jory Gould, Wu, and Mary Fry; senior Cara Norris
  • Boys 200 freestyle relay- Junior Eammon Bell; seniors Mark Hancher, Ben Thiss, Isaac Goldstein
  • Girls 200 freestyle relay- Gould, Wu, Norris and junior Elizabeth Walden
  • Boys 400 freestyle relay- Goldstein, Thiss, Hancher and senior John Heldman
  • Girls 400 freestyle relay- Norris, Fry and sophomores Isabelle Jimenez and Hannah May

The swimmers who qualified for the state meet in an individual event are:

• Hancher in the 100 butterfly and 100 freestyle
  • Norris in the 100 butterfly
  • Wu in the 50 freestyle
  • Fry in the 50 freestyle
  • May in the 200 freestyle

“It’s my first time going in an individual and I have a chance to podium so I’m really excited. It’s a really awesome opportunity and a great experience,” Wu said.

As well as qualifying for the state meet, Hancher broke the school record for the 100 butterfly with a time of 49.73 seconds.

State team will depart for Canton, OH, where the state meet is held, on Thurs. Feb 26. The preliminary session of the meet is the following day. Those who place top 16 in prelims will swim on Fri. Feb 27 for the finals session.

“Everyone gets super excited for the relays at state. Hearing the whole stands cheering really makes you want to go fast. It’s not about the time on relays as much as just racing the people in the lanes next to you,” Fry said.

For more information on Ohio high school swimming, click here.