Overtures worth points: Students prepare monologues, songs

Isabella Gonzalez, 10, sings her first piece in her Overture audition. She followed the music with a classical monologue.  “I’ve never been very good with auditions- I get really nervous and a little shaky, but I have to take deep breaths and relax each time because that is the life of theater,” said Gonzalez. Image by Tori Swart
Isabella Gonzalez, 10, sings her first piece in her Overture audition. She followed the music with a classical monologue.
“I’ve never been very good with auditions- I get really nervous and a little shaky, but I have to take deep breaths and relax each time because that is the life of theater,” said Gonzalez. Photo courtesy of Tori Swart

It’s obvious, when observing the Aves Theatre trophy case, that SHS has a legacy when it comes to the Overture Awards. That legacy is winning many of them annually.

Now, the process begins again, starting with the school auditions that took place on Oct. 29. Open only to the Acting Ensemble students, the activity served not only as a competition, but a school assignment as well.

“We asked all members of the ensemble classes to participate in the auditions of Overtures, in part for the possibility to move on in the contest and also for the audition experience,” said Ms. Sarah Garvey, co-director of Aves Theatre.

And experience the performers did. With a full five minutes to fill, students went through the ordeal of choosing between monologues and songs, and then selecting and preparing those pieces.

“I connected to the song I chose. Someone picked out the monologue for me, but I picked out the song with a good friend. It gave me a better idea of what I was capable of,” said Isabella Gonzalez, 10.

The Overture Award Scholarship Program is the area’s largest solo arts competition that focuses on six artistic disciplines in high school students:

1. Creative writing
  2. Dance
  3. Instrumental music
  4. Theatre
  5. Visual art
  6. Vocal music

The fact that it was made a class assignment, however, may well have dispelled some of the stress of competition. It provided for the opportunity to practice the pieces in class with the help of peers and Garvey.

“It was a little more formal than our regular acting class assignments, because we had moved it from in the classroom to outside of school time in front of judges,” said Emily Misali, 10.

“I knew it was important to prepare well, but I did not approach the audition as the biggest thing in the world.”

Performers were judged on:

• Individual talent
  • Skill and potential
  • Stage presence
  • Projection
  • Articulation/Pronunciation
  • Interpretation and understanding of text, artistic expression
  • Physical movements and gestures

Qualifiers for the Regional Competition will be announced Fri., Nov. 1.