Quality sleep impacts performance

High school students tend to stay on electronics right before bed because of a heavy homework load or to keep updated on social media. New technology is being created to ease screen brightness on eyes as night approaches. Photo courtesy of Caroline Gao.

People need a set time to wake-up from sleep. That time will depend in part on a person’s circadian clock, or chronotype. People can figure out how much sleep they need to feel alert by working backward from a wake-up to find a suitable bedtime.

“I tend to be more of a night person than morning person, but it also depends on the time of year on whether or not I like to get up early,” senior Sneha Rajagopal said.

According to a study conducted by the New York Times, using phones and electronics before sleeping can prevent a good night’s sleep.

Any light disrupts sleep, but blue wavelengths, the kind of light emitted by electronics such as TVs and smartphones, tell a part of people’s brains, the suprachiasmatic nucleus, to suppress the release of melatonin, a hormone associated with the onset of night and drowsiness.

“I don’t like to use my phone right before bed but it’s hard not to use a computer before bed because I’m usually finishing homework,” junior David Wang said.

If people have a hard time falling asleep, people can try visualizing step-by-step movements of one activity. If that does not have a soporific effect, people can get up and do something screen-free until they feel tired.

“I usually count numbers when I can’t fall asleep. I know other people like to get up and read if they can’t sleep,” sophomore Sarah Sotropa said.

For more information concerning sleep, click here.