Pushing limit on dress code

Pictured are freshmen Caitlyn Jarrett, Molly Ferguson, and Emily Kremchek. During the summer, typically, boys and girls will wear shorter shorts and looser shirts. This is all to accommodate to the warmer weather.

Caitlyn Jarrett.

As we begin to move into the warmer months, a prevailing question is that of what to wear. During winter we do not have as many choices as we currently do.
Typically during the cooler months, students dress with more layers of clothing to keep warm.
Boys, usually, will wear jeans, khakis, or sweatpants along with tee-shirts and light jackets. Girls will normally wear boots, leggings or jeans, tee-shirts, and light jackets.
Normally, no trouble arises, unless of course, a student wears a shirt with an inappropriate message on it.
Freshman Daniel Polasky said, “I don’t even realize we have a dress code  most of the time solely because I have common sense when it comes to what I wear. If the shirt I’m wearing seems even slightly inappropriate, then teachers will probably not like it so I don’t wear it.”
However, boys (along with girls) are not allowed to wear hats or hoodies in the building. Although some disagree with this rule, it is a justified and perfectly sensible thing to enforce in SHS.
First off, not taking your hat off while you are in a building or a school is plainly disrespectful. It shows that you do not care for your surroundings or your school.
Secondly, if you were to be wearing a hoodie during class, it comes off as suspicious, and a bit shady because the teachers and administrators would not be able to see your face or know what you are doing.
Polasky said, “If you’re wearing a hoodie or a hat in school it shows that you are not paying attention, which is rude. It is more for safety and respectfulness than anything else.”
As the days begin to warm, students begin to peel off the layers they have been wearing for most of the winter and show off more skin.
Boys will wear shorts and tee-shirts and girls will most likely do the same. The one difference, however, is that girls’ shorts are usually much shorter than that of boys, which can lead to problems.
If you are wearing something that short, you may be asked to put something on to cover you up.
Freshman Caitlyn Jarrett said, “Although I never personally had this happen to me, I have friends that have been asked to wear baggy sweatpants to cover up their shorts. It is kind of embarrassing.”
Remember, if you are planning on wearing something that is borderline inappropriate, use some common sense and think what you would look like to other people.