Season ends with a bang

Greg Simpson hands the ball off to Solomon McMullin. Simpson did not play in the Mason game. However, SHS was able to come away with a victory.
Greg Simpson hands the ball off to Solomon McMullen. Simpson did not play in the Mason game. However, SHS was able to come away with a victory. Photo courtesy of McDaniel’s Photography.

Beat Mason. Those are the two words that the  football team has been hearing all season. They did just that, winning on Nov. 1 by a score of 35-28. Clarence Dawson, 10, had a 34-yard touchdown run while Jake Borman, 9, had two touchdown passes. It was a thriller, with the game going into overtime followed by an eventual SHS win to finish the season strong.

However, that win was not enough for the team to reach the postseason.
“I think that the season was a disappointment, but the win against our rival gives us some momentum heading into next year,” said Jannan Sivaruban, 9.

Also around the GMC, Princeton defeated Middletown. This gave the Middies a final conference record of 0-7. Colerain took down Oak Hills to finish the season undefeated once again. Lakota West was able to hold off rival Lakota East, giving West an undefeated conference season, but a second place GMC finish behind the Colerain Cardinals. Fairfield also beat Hamilton, which gave Hamilton a winless conference season as well.

Nonetheless, as we have said in Cincinnati for the last 20 years, “There is always next year!”