Model UN students make final preparations for position papers

SHS was very successful at UDMUN last year, taking home the most awards of the schools in attendance. This year, the club is confident that they will do equally well. “We have a lot of very talented people this year, and I know we can potentially take home a lot of awards,” said Allison Rogge, 11.  Photo Courtesy of Joseph Ahn.
SHS was very successful at UDMUN last year, taking home the most awards of the schools in attendance. This year, the club is confident that they will do equally well. “We have a lot of very talented people this year, and I know we can potentially take home a lot of awards,” said Allison Rogge, 11. Photo courtesy of Joseph Ahn.

With the Dayton conference just around the bend, the Model UN (MUN) Club members rushed to meet the deadline for their position papers for the Dayton Model United Nations conference on Nov. 15.

“This was my first time writing a position paper. It was a lot easier than I thought because we were given a lot of advice and resources,” said Dylan Consbruck, 12.

These position papers are submitted to the conference and are evaluated for content and relevance. Each committee then selects an outstanding paper for an award.

“A lot of effort needs to be put into these papers. Not only because it gives you an opportunity to receive an award, but also because you get a lot of experience and knowledge about your topic as you write it,” said Nakul Narendran, 11.

This year, some issues on which the papers were written include increasing sustainable access to safe drinking water, addressing gender equality, or promoting human rights to eradicate child labor.

“It’s cool because the topics that we have are actually world problems that I’m interested in,” said Anu Roy-Chaudhury, 11.

Veterans of the club made edits to the position papers and submitted them to the conference on Nov. 4.

“The papers for UD all looked great, and some of them definitely have the ability to win awards,” said Narendran.

For more information, go to the University of Dayton website.