• Last Day of School May 25

• Late Arrival May 23

• Graduation in Cintas Center May 22 at 7:00 p.m.

• Underclassmen Exams May 22-25

Filed under News, Showcase

Relay for Life resolutes

Students achieve success

SURVIVOR%E2%80%99S+LAP.+Cancer+Survivor%E2%80%99s+take+a+celebratory+lap+around+the+track.+The+Survivor%E2%80%99s+Lap+is+the+first+lap+of+the+relay.+After+their+lap%2C+everyone+else+piles+on+to+the+track+and+the+relay+begins.+
SURVIVOR’S LAP. Cancer Survivor’s take a celebratory lap around the track. The Survivor’s Lap is the first lap of the relay. After their lap, everyone else piles on to the track and the relay begins.

McDaniel's Photography

McDaniel's Photography

The Montgomery event of Relay for Life was a success. A total of 69 teams helped raise a grand total of $85,057.41 of donations. Every dollar will be given to help support the research to find a cure for cancer.

“I thought it was a really good experience, and it was so fun to spend time spending 12 hours with friends for a good cause,” said Mallory Hall, 10.

Students from Sycamore, St. Xavier, Ursuline Academy, and Moeller came together on the evening of April 8 to join in the 12 hour relay to fight cancer. This year’s theme was Superheroes as an analogy for those who are battling cancer or fighting against cancer.

Throughout the night, students walked around the track and participated in various activities. There were team activities of dodge ball and tug-of-war as well as individual activities including cutting hair to donate, yoga, henna, a mile-race, and a Frozen t-shirt.

“It is really cool to see how so many people care enough about this cause that they donate money, cut their hair, and stay up all night to support and remember those affected by cancer,” said Michelle Kerr, 10.

All participated in the Luminaria ceremony, where Luminaria bags were lit and all walked in silence as the names on the Luminaria’s were read out loud.

“I thought Relay for Life was wonderful. It’s a really great way to raise money for a powerful cause. My favorite part was the Luminaria ceremony for sure,” said Sophia Galyon, 11.