Volunteering opportunities supports community

Biscuit & Kobi
Kobi (left) is a German shepherd mix and Biscuit (right) is a pug and beagle mix. The two dogs now live happily with their owners after being rescued at six months for Kobi and 18 months for Biscuit. Other animals, as well as people, are eagerly waiting for people to help them during the holidays, whether that is adopting an animal or volunteering at a soup kitchen.

The holiday season is among us, so it is the time of year when we want to reach out and help those less fortunate than us.  Whether that is adopting a pet or volunteering at a soup kitchen, there are plenty of ways to help.

1. Matthew 25 Ministries is an international humanitarian aid and disaster relief organization that is dedicated to helping some of the poorest people regionally, nationally and internationally.  To learn more, visit their website.
  2. Cincinnati’s Children’s Hospital is always looking for volunteers to help children and their families during a difficult time, from playing with and reading to children, to offering breaks to parents.  To learn more, visit their website.
  3. Operation Give Back hosts a holiday store every year.  It is meant for families who cannot afford certain supplies to be able to get them.  Also, OGB always wants high school students to come and help younger kids with homework and other projects.  To learn more, visit their website.
  4. Soup Kitchens are another great way to help a community by preparing food for the hungry.  Various organizations exist around the area and some are even affiliated with religious groups.  For more information, click here.
  5. The SPCA is an organization dedicated to the prevention of animal abuse and cruelty and tries to find good homes for all its rescued animals.  Adopting a pet is great way to spread some happiness this holiday season.  For more information, visit their website.

People and animals everywhere need your help, not only the holidays but all the time.  So try to volunteer and help those around you and be grateful for everything you have.