Skiers start down slippery slopes

Ski club pic
Dr. Eugene Donatell is the advisor of the Sycamore Ski Club. It meets on Tuesdays and skiers are usually able to ski from around 4:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. The club is not competitive and ranges in skill level from beginner to expert. Photo courtesy of Max Fritzhand.

The Ski Club started their season off high and mighty on the blustery day of Dec. 17. The buses arrived at Perfect North Slopes at around 4:00 p.m., and the skiers and snowboarders immediately headed down to the rental room to change into their ski wear.

“I was really excited to go because I haven’t skied in a while and have never been in Ski Club before,” said Abigail McGowan, 10.

Ski Club meets every available Tues. throughout the winter months of school. Students meet at the upper bus ramps and take the 40 minute ride to Perfect North Slopes  on school buses.

“I was a bit nervous to join the club at first since none of my friends were in it, but in my first day I’ve already made some new friends to go skiing with,” said McGowan.

The temperature averaged at just about freezing point as the skiers and snowboarders first made their way on to the slopes. Skiing went on until 7:45 pm, when the club was called back to the lodge in order to return to SHS.

“The time always seems to go really fast when I’m out snowboarding. It’s one of my favorite pastimes. I’m looking forward to many more snow filled Tuesday afternoons this school year,” said Brandon Lombardi, 11.