Player Profile: Sophie Campbell

Sophomore+Sophie+Campbell+is+a+player+for+the+girls+water+polo+team.+Campbell+switched+from+playing+soccer+after+her+freshman+year+due+to+a+knee+injury.+Campbells+sister%2C+Ania+Campbell%2C+is+a+captain+of+the+girls+water+polo+team.+The+team+is+currently+ranked+fourth+in+state%2C+tied+with+Milford.+I+decided+to+play+water+polo+because+my+older+sister%2C+Ania+Campbell%2C+encouraged+me+to.+She+has+played+for+three+years+and+advised+me+to+try+it+out...+I+am+so+happy+that+I+joined%2C+Campbell+said.+

Sophie Campbell

Sophomore Sophie Campbell is a player for the girls water polo team. Campbell switched from playing soccer after her freshman year due to a knee injury. Campbell’s sister, Ania Campbell, is a captain of the girls water polo team. The team is currently ranked fourth in state, tied with Milford. “I decided to play water polo because my older sister, Ania Campbell, encouraged me to. She has played for three years and advised me to try it out… I am so happy that I joined,” Campbell said.

Sophomore Sophie Campbell is a player for the water polo team. After playing soccer freshman year, Campbell has switched to the sport that her senior sister, Ania Campbell, is a captain of. The team is currently ranked fourth in the state, tied with Milford, and hopes to place top four in the state when they compete at state championships Oct. 19-20. With a total of 19 seniors, they are encouraging everyone to come to support the boys and girls team on their senior night, Tues., Oct. 2. 

Q&A, Sophie Campbell

Q: What is your position on the team?

A: I am a goalie. A goalie treads the whole time while they are in the deep end goal but is allowed to stand when in the shallow end goal. A goalie can block balls, steel balls, and catch the ball with two hands. In the deep end, a goalie has to tread really high to block balls but in the shallow end, a goalie can jump off the bottom.

Q: What does a typical practice look like?

A: A typical practice includes a swim set in the beginning and treading following after. Next, we work on passing the ball. The goalies usually go do something different than the rest of the players; we work on long passes, high treading, and blocking (takedowns).

Q: How would you explain water polo to someone who has never heard of it?

A: Water polo is a mix of soccer, swimming, and handball. Players toss and catch a ball similar to a volleyball with one hand as they swim down the pool. Once down to the opponent’s end, they try to shoot into the goal. There is a goalie on both ends of the pool.

Q: Why did you decide to play?

A: I decided to play water polo because my older sister, Ania Campbell, encouraged me to. She has played for three years and advised me to try it out because I had recently injured my knees and would have a hard time playing soccer. I am so happy that I joined.

Q: What is your favorite water polo memory

A: I have many great water polo memories but one of my favorite times on the team was when we went to Columbus to participate in the Ohio Cup tournament. It was an overnight tournament and my teammates and I bonded a lot.

Q: What are some traditions/fun things the team does

A: Some fun things we do in practice are flop Fridays, which is when we do belly flops into the pool together on Fridays, say our cheer “Lady Aves,” big sis little sis, which is when an underclassman is paired with an upperclassman and they exchange gifts according to the theme of that tournament, and we listen to music during practice.