Watch your (beep) language: Arthur the aardvark on swearing

la foto (5)

I was sitting in the living room a December evening, mostly concentrating on taking pictures of myself out of boredom known as a “selfie” when that high-pitched sensor beep called my attention.

I was certain that my little sister was watching “Arthur” on PBS kids, where that taboo sound does not belong.

I glanced to check what she was watching, and those familiar animal faces in outfits that never change smiled back at me.

“Are they swearing? On Arthur?” I thought to myself, and sure enough, I heard the beep again.

The idea of the episode was that DW, Arthur’s sister, heard a child, yes, a child, direct a bad word at his mother because she limited his privileges.

DW was curious about the word, so she asked her brother and her friends, real and imaginary, what it meant. The word was so violent that a lot of glass bowls were dropped.

After asking her mother, DW was mildly scolded and told that the word was bad. She understood, and promised that she wouldn’t use it again.

The last scene, however, featured several children, probably about four to five years old, having a conversation with random beeps supplied, and in context, it sounded like a very profane conversation.

Although no words are dropped, this last part bothered me. It appeared that the producers were almost saying that it is acceptable for children to say things that they would never dare let their parents hear.

As students at a high school, I think we swear excessively, but it is different to hear those words come from a child with an innocent face, and it is really a reflection of who surrounds and how they are treated.

I don’t think this episode of “Arthur” sends a good message about the generation. Taboo words should not become a loose part of culture, and as teenagers, we can help prevent this. Watch how loose your mouth is, especially around little kids.