French Club encourages conversation

COFFEE AND CONVERSATION. Junior Grant Kilgard enjoys coffee while practicing his conversational French. “I think students really like the comradery of learning and speaking French together,” said Grant Bruner, 12.

Caroline Skwara

SHS is known for its ability to expand interests students take in certain courses. SHS offers a multitude of global languages to serve this purpose, including French.

Apart from the classes offered during the school day, French Club also exists and proves to be a chance for students to further immerse themselves in the language and culture.

This year, French Club decided to begin a new project. Mrs. Lesley Chapman, French teacher, proposed the creative initiative.

Cleverly called “Café Conversation,” this French Club extensions takes place at Awakenings Café in Montgomery after school the first Friday of each month.

The meetings take place from 3 – 4 p.m. and focus on conversational speaking. The meetings are mostly independent or student-led with Chapman occasionally guiding discussions.

Junior Caroline Skwara, French Club vice president, enjoys being able to practice French outside of school.

“Usually the only opportunity I have to practice speaking French is in the classroom with the same group of people that I’ve been taking French with since junior high, so being able to speak to people in a fun conversational manner is great.

“I love being able to practice interpersonal skills with people from various levels of French without the added pressure of grades,” Skwara said.