Transition Internship Program (TIP)

McDaniel's Photography

NOT JUST WORK. Students learn and gain experiences from TIP, but there is also time for fun, too. Two October’s ago, as seen above, TIP members enjoyed a festive Halloween party.

Sycamore’s Transition Internship Program (TIP) helps prepare students ages 18-21 with disabilities for life after high school. The program helps the students learn job and life skills to prepare for their future through job training, work-study, and other activities.

Mrs. Tamara Brewer began TIP in 2013. The program was initially housed in an SHS classroom, however, in 2015, TIP moved to the former technology house next to the E.H. Greene School, where it still is today.

The TIP students learn skills relating to topics such as money management, independent living, and safety, and also participate in volunteering at locations including Matthew 25 Ministries and A Child’s Hope International. On Fridays, the students go on community outings to local events.

Many TIP students participate in work study at community businesses such as Kroger, Target, and the library. Others learn job skills by working in the Hanger, cafeteria, office, and sorting mail at the high school.

The TIP program has a significant impact on Sycamore students with disabilities by helping them live independent lives.

Sources: