Overture Awards bring opportunities

The two categories which the four SHS qualified for are instrumental music and vocal music. Three students qualified in instrumental and one in vocal. Participants are excited and determined for the upcoming event. Photo Courtesy of Caroline Gao.

Even as the busy school year continues on, there is no stopping in practicing. Participants all around the tri-state area participated in the 2014 Overture Awards, and four SHS students qualified for the final round in their distinct discipline.

“Making the final round is an amazing feeling, especially since it’s my first year competing. A lot of hard work and effort has to be put in and it takes a lot of dedication,” said Emma Burge, 10.

Students may win a 3,500 dollar scholarship, one awarded in each discipline, or a 750 dollar finalist scholarship, a total of 18 awarded. The list of the six disciplines are:

• Creative writing
  • Dance
  • Instrumental music
  • Theater
  • Visual art
  • Vocal music

“I made the final round last year and this year and it’s truly a great experience. It’s a really competitive competition and it’s interesting with all different instruments,” said Joseph Vaz, 11.

The final competition and awards ceremony will be held at the Aronoff Center on Saturday March 1, 2014 at 1:00 PM. Tickets are 15 dollars for the public.

“It’s just such a great feeling that a lot of hard work has been paid off. It will be an experience that will be hard to forget,” said Burge.

For more information, click here.