SHS seniors in solidarity

How an inspiring video is bringing the class of 2020 together

Aaditi Lele

SENIOR SOLIDARITY. To come together under difficult circumstances, two seniors, Lindsey Stevens and Kennedy Archer, decided to compile a senior video. Showcasing the bond of the senior class, the video has spread quickly around social media. With so much uncertainty for senior activities, they hope the video will help the senior class come together despite the challenges they have faced.

One last performance. One last season. One last game. One last competition. One last goodbye. For the class of 2020, all of these “lasts” hang in the balance of a rocky senior year. In light of the circumstances brought on by Covid-19, celebrating an end to their Sycamore journeys has been difficult, but the class of 2020 has found unique ways to endure- together. 

In mid-March, the class of 2020 all went their separate ways. Expecting to return in a few weeks, they were ecstatic at the thoughts of all the wonderful things to come: senior prom, senior graduation, senior picnic, elementary school visits. All the activities meant to remind them of the 12 years they had shared together. To bond them. But, now, isolated and at home, how could any of this be possible?

Seniors Lindsey Stevens and Kennedy Archer took it upon themselves to address the problem. Through a video that made waves across social media, they proved the class of 2020 could be more together than ever. Even when they were apart. 

The two seniors had an idea to compile a video that would show solidarity amongst the class of 2020. “We wanted to make something special to show everyone that we’re in it together and although this is a hard time right now, good thing will come out of this,” said Stevens.

But, organizing dozens of participants was no easy feat. The two began reaching out to any other seniors they knew, asking them to participate and constantly sending reminders. In the end, their hard work paid off with a video that featured almost 100 students from the 2020 SHS graduating class. 

In the days after Stevens uploaded the video, it spread over social media like wildfire. The video has already amassed five thousand views on Facebook and many more on other platforms. But they were clear that “we were just trying to do something nice for Sycamore,” explained Stevens and Archer. The feedback they received was tremendous, with parents and students alike crying over the emotional video. 

In the video, the participants highlight the unique hardships of the class of 2020. Born into the year of 9/11. Entering high school amid the height of mass shootings. Graduating amidst Covid-19. But, they made it clear that their hardships only made them stronger.

“We have gone through things…we want to focus on the good things and not look at the bad thing and bring ourselves down. I think it’s made us a tough generation and a generation that looks at the good things and looks hopeful to the future,” said Stevens.

The video highlights the senior experience as each participant expressed what they will be missing. The Newsies show. Their last meet. Last game. Last performance. Graduation. Prom.

“What’s so heartbreaking to me is not being able to walk through our elementary schools I think that’s what hurts a lot of us,” said Stevens. 

But it is not just those monumental events, like prom and graduation, that they will miss the most: it is the simple interactions that count. Stevens added that what she will miss the most is eating lunch with teachers that she was close to.

“I think I’m going to miss walking the halls…and being able to see all the teachers that I’m really grateful for,” added Archer. 

So, what has this experience taught them?

“It prepares us to once again not take anything for granted,” explained Stevens,  “and always make sure that we are constantly staying grateful for like the little things that we have.” And this positive message is exactly what they hope to inspire in other students as well.

“I would tell seniors all across the country to not let this time bring them down. To really come together with their senior class like we did because it will bring them so much joy, happiness, and peace,” said Archer.

As for the classes which will succeed them, Stevens and Archer “hope that the other classes realize that this could be a last and enjoy it, don’t take things for granted. It [Covid-19] really puts things in perspective.”

For the SHS class of 2020 and seniors across the country, Covid-19 has cut a monumental landmark in their lives short, but their resilience has shown through. And this video is a prime example of the solidarity they have built. If there is one thing you take from this video, take it as a reminder that when we come together like our Class of 2020 has, the Sycamore community can endure through anything.