Oh, The Places You’ll Go!

Class of 2021 takes on college applications amidst a pandemic

SENIOR PLANNING DAY. On Wednesday, October 14th, seniors will not be attending in person or virtual classes. While underclassmen take on standardized tests such as the ACT Aspire and the PSAT, 12th graders are given the day off to plan for the future and make preparations for their pursuits after high school. This day should be used for researching colleges, careers, or any other post-secondary endeavors, as well as completing college applications or attending virtual college tours. This planning day is especially timely, with early action/decision deadlines approaching on or around November 1. “All of my college visits were canceled, but luckily we were able to stop by a few last week. I turned in all of my applications on October 6th and plan to do virtual tours on senior planning day to finish the process,” Maya Berry, 12. Photo courtesy of Maya Berry.

On Wednesday, October 14th, seniors will not be attending in person or virtual classes. While underclassmen take on standardized tests such as the ACT Aspire and the PSAT, 12th graders are given the day off to plan for the future and make preparations for their pursuits after high school. This day should be used for researching colleges, careers, or any other post-secondary endeavors, as well as completing college applications or attending virtual college tours. This planning day is especially timely, with early action/decision deadlines approaching on or around November 1. “All of my college visits were canceled, but luckily we were able to stop by a few last week. I turned in all of my applications on October 6th and plan to do virtual tours on senior planning day to finish the process,” Maya Berry, 12. Photo courtesy of Maya Berry.

The class of 2021 faces unprecedented challenges this application cycle, with many colleges and universities completely altering their requirements to apply. Students are unsure how these new circumstances will affect their chances of acceptance. Most universities have transitioned to a test-optional admissions policy, meaning that standardized test scores, such as the ACT or SAT, are no longer required or in some cases, preferred, for application consideration. The Common App application now also includes an optional section where students can discuss ways that COVID-19 has affected them. Universities also claim to be more flexible and understanding when it comes to grades during this application cycle, as many schools switched to a pass/fail or no grade system in light of the pandemic. 

With all of these changes, it will be important to remain resilient, regardless of your academic situation, and demonstrate this strength and perseverance within your applications. Good luck, class of ‘21! As proud Aviators, we will surely be prepared for success regardless of where our post-secondary pursuits take us.