Working With The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

MAKING+AN+IMPACT.+Seniors+Aryan+Vaidya+and+Alicia+Luo+are+participating+in+the+Students+of+the+Year+fundraising+campaign+to+support+the+efforts+of+the+Leukemia+%26+Lymphoma+Society.+You+can+donate+to+their+cause+by+checking+out+the+story%21+

Aryan Vaidya

MAKING AN IMPACT. Seniors Aryan Vaidya and Alicia Luo are participating in the Students of the Year fundraising campaign to support the efforts of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. You can donate to their cause by checking out the story!

We all possess the ability to make an impact. It is true. And finding a cause that pulls at our heart and skin to make a difference allows us to put this ability into motion. Aryan Vaidya, 12, and Alicia Luo, 12, have found their cause with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS).

LLS is a charitable organization that works to find a cure for blood cancers and assists patients and families as they battle these diseases. They have played a leading role in the fight against blood cancers through research, medical innovations, and key legislative action that improve access to therapies for cancer patients. Some blood cancer drugs are also able to be used to treat other forms of cancer and non-malignant diseases. In essence, the fight against blood cancer is a fight against all cancer. 

Both Vaidya and Luo have had family members affected by cancer. 

A few years ago, Luo’s grandmother died from a blood disease. Similarly, Vaidya’s grandmother was diagnosed with cancer a few years back, but she was, fortunately, able to fight it with the help of ample resources and a strong support system. Their first-hand experiences with cancer have motivated their drive to help find a cure for blood cancer so that other people and their families will not have to endure the devastating effects of this ailment. 

In order to aid this community, the seniors are participating in the Students of the Year fundraising campaign this year. Students of the Year is a seven-week fundraising and leadership development program for high school students. It aims to develop young leaders in the community while raising funds for LLS. “We have to become better speakers, always working to spread knowledge about LLS as well as ask for donations because every little bit counts,” said Vaidya.

The program runs from February 17th, 2021 through April 9th, 2021, and the team’s goal is to raise $15,000 by the end of the fundraising period. Luo explained that their work “is important because Leukemia is the number one childhood cancer. Children are the future and their lives don’t deserve to be wiped out before they can shine their brightest.

You can support the efforts of Vaidya and Luo in aiding the LLS by donating to their campaign through this link.