An Effective Success

Pfizer reports 100% efficacy rate in 12-15-year-old vaccine trials

Claire Dillon

Pictured above is sophomore Claire Dillon who received her first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine on March 29. “I think it’s the tiniest thing…like you’re just getting a needle poked in your arm for a quick second and it really does help with the coronavirus efforts so, like I said, if you can get it, absolutely do it… It keeps you safe, it keeps those around you safe,” Dillon said.

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was found to be 100% effective in protecting against symptomatic disease during clinical trials for children from ages 12–15, according to the company as of March 31. This trial tested 2,260 adolescents in the aforementioned age group and was “well-tolerated,” the company stated.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pfizer, Albert Bourla, said on the Pfizer website, “We share the urgency to expand the authorization of our vaccine to use in younger populations and are encouraged by the clinical trial data from adolescents between the ages of 12 and 15. We plan to submit these data to the FDA as a proposed amendment to our Emergency Use Authorization in the coming weeks and to other regulators around the world, with the hope of starting to vaccinate this age group before the start of the next school year.”

March 29 was the first day that Ohioans 16 and older became eligible to receive a vaccine. Those who are 18 and older have a few vaccine options, including Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson&Johnson. Currently, the Pfizer vaccine is the only vaccine that teens between the ages of 16 and 18 can get, as it is the only vaccine approved for that age group so far. 

Sophomore Claire Dillon got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on March 29. She had been calling around to many different places that provide the vaccine to try and schedule an appointment the week prior. She found a Walgreens in Sharonville that had an open appointment and said, “‘I’ll take it!’” Dillon said that she had a great experience and that it was easy and well-organized. 

As for the Pfizer vaccine trials’ success for ages 12–15, Dillon is very excited. “I really want my siblings to be able to get vaccinated—I have a 14-year-old brother who I would love to be able to see vaccinated. Friends in younger grades too, that would be amazing,” said Dillon.

Freshman Sophia Calcaterra, who is in the 12 to 15-year-old age group, said “I am totally excited [about the vaccine] because I really want to get things more back to normal, and getting the vaccine will help us do so and help us stay safe.”

Dillon added that “It’s the tiniest thing…like you’re just getting a needle poked in your arm for a quick second and it really does help with the coronavirus efforts so, like I said if you can get it, absolutely do it… It keeps you safe, it keeps those around you safe.”