New app’s craze causes students to rage

Flappy Bird is the latest app phenomenon to take over student’s free time at SHS. The objective is to help Flappy the Bird avoid the green pipes and fly to safety. The game sits at number one downloaded in the App Store, and can serve as a pick up and play game. Photo by Alex Wittenbaum.
Flappy Bird is the latest app phenomenon to take over students’ free time at SHS. The objective is to help Flappy the Bird avoid the green pipes and fly to safety. The game sits at number one downloaded in the App Store, and can serve as a pick up and play game. Photo by Alex Wittenbaum.

When Flappy Bird, a fresh new game, hit the App Store, it jumped to number one on the charts. It quickly caught on to students as well, causing an addiction that has never been seen before.

The object is simple, the user taps the screen to keep “Flappy the Bird” from hitting the ground or a green pipe. The farther the bird flies, the more points earned. But, there is a catch: Flappy is very sensitive to the objects he faces.

“Whenever I lose, I get frustrated, and immediately want to play again. The key though, is to keep playing, until you master the game,” said Brandon Peck, 12.

Flappy Bird is a pick up and play game, and can serve as a fast break from daily activities. The app plays very quickly, so if one needs to fill time, it is a great download.

“I like to play it in the hall, while switching classes. It can be dangerous though, as I can get very mad quickly. Whenever the game is over, I want to start again,” said Drake Huerman, 11.

The game is designed by Dong Nguyen and is available for free on the iTunes store, and the Android Market.

“I am happy that I found the game. My high score is 126. If anyone is looking for something new to play, and to pass the time with, then Flappy Bird is your app,” said Regis Liou, 9.

To see the game in action, click here.